The main research goals of the VZET are
- the development and validation of new replacement and complementary methods to animal experimentation,
- the identification of new fields of work in the field of replacement and supplementary methods to animal experimentation and the formation of corresponding research networks for the intensive investigation of the new fields of work,
- the provision of alternative and supplementary methods to animal experimentation for working groups within and outside the TiHo,
- the intensification of interdisciplinary research in the field of the development of alternative and complementary methods to animal experiments, and
- the provision of biostatistical expertise in the planning of animal experiments in order to reduce the number of laboratory animals to be used.
The goals of the VZET in the context of teaching are
- the anchoring of the 3Rs concept in all areas of veterinary education,
- organizing and conducting events (seminars, lecture series, scientific conferences) for students to promote interest in the development of alternative and complementary methods to animal experimentation,
- to put interested students in contact with working groups developing alternative and complementary methods to animal experimentation, and
- contributions to postgraduate education.
The main tasks of the Virtual Center also include public relations for the development and validation of alternative and complementary methods to animal experimentation as well as the active dissemination of the use of these methods in research and teaching.