You are here:

Small Animal Clinic

Profile and Structure

We moved in our new building for Small Animal Clinic, located at Bünteweg, in February 2010. It offers in cooperation with the Clinic for Horses and the Clinic for Pets, Reptiles, Pet and Feral birds sufficient room and facilities for a modern university clinic and provides our patients with the highest standard medical care.  

 

For that reason the clinic offer separated waiting rooms for cats and dogs, five universal diagnostic rooms, a dermic-, an ocular- and three ultrasonic diagnostic rooms.

digital X-ray
digital X-ray
MRI-Scanner
MRI-Scanner
surgery room
surgery room

Consulting rooms for EMG and gait analysis are provided for pursuing diagnostics. Furthermore, two digital x-ray systems, one 64-line computer tomograph (CT) as well as a three tesla magnetic resonance imaging system (MRI) are available. Required laboratory tests are conducted in the generous laboratory wing composed of 10 laboratories and ancillary rooms.  

 

In case of necessary operational procedures, the clinic holds medically highly equipped night-, dental-, ocular- and laser-surgery rooms. Additionally a large surgery-room with three tables is provided. Here, minimal invasive surgical techniques have been increasingly used, especially for inspections of joints and the abdominal cavity.

 

Our patients profit here, as well as in all other fields for diagnostics and treatment of illnesses, from the progress of your clinical research. Endoscopic examination are carried our in an individually equipped room. The whole surgery wing is, for hygienic reasons, separated from the main clinic with a double door system.

 

The stationary treatment is organised separately for cats and dogs. Next to it, two intensive care units for the treatment of life-threatening illnesses in nine special wards and an isolation area for patients with infectious diseases are provided.

demonstration-hall
demonstration-hall
pharmacy
pharmacy

For our students’ education and training, the clinic provides a large and modernly equipped lecture hall but also a demonstration-hall for dog- and cat-patients. Additionally, two surgery rooms and one diagnostic room are available for the students’ education only. Prescribed medication for the patients can be purchased in the clinic-pharmacy, located in the entrance hall. This pharmacy is not public.   The constantly increasing number of our patients has gone from 150 stationary and 109 ambulant treatments in 1859 to far over 20.000 ambulant and 3.500 stationary treatments today. As a result of this increasing patient number it is not surprising that our staff has changed significantly as well. From one clinic director assistant in 1914, the number quadrupled to already 4 assistants in 1962. In the course of the expansion of research and education as well as the increasing number of patients we now employ 87 veterinarians, including professors, in the Small Animal Clinic only. They are supported by several doctoral candidates, 13 animal attendants, 12 laboratory assistants, 13 technical assistants and 6 administration workers.

This page...